Self introduction

Dear Professor Blackstone,
My name is Isqandar, and I am writing to introduce myself to you. I am a year 1 civil engineering student attending your module in effective communication.  I graduated from Singapore Polytechnic in 2018 with a diploma in architecture.  I only took Architecture as I was forced by my parents to do so, and I obliged. I also thought that Architecture was a decent course at the time. The reason I took this course was because I did not like design or art. Hence, I took the decision to make the switch from architecture to civil engineering.
I believe my biggest weakness in communication would be in presentations. When presenting or speaking to large audiences, I often find myself tongue tied and feeling a bit edgy. Because of this, I would easily lose my train of thoughts and then speak nonsense, which is why I find people who present without a script admirable, and that includes you. I look forward to absorb the knowledge that you will be imparting to me.
Conversely, I believe a strong suit of mine would be to hold conversations. It sounds like a weird trait to highlight, but I strongly feel I’m able to read social cues and avoid awkwardness in conversations. I really enjoy talking about whatever whenever, especially when the energy is reciprocated.
At the end of the course, I would like to be able to be a strong presenter, and maintain poise under pressure. To be able to present well would be a crucial skill not only in school but also at work in the future. Another goal of mine would be to improve my overall confidence by having effective communication skills. I read somewhere that “Your audience equates your competence with their perceptions of confidence”. Hence, I would like to appear more confident at the end of this module. I hope we can work together to achieve our goals in this module.
Regards,
Isqandar
CVE 1281 Effective Communication
Group 5
<Edited on 10/04/21 9:22AM>
(Commented on these fellow blogging buddies: Ming Ze, Asyraf, Sherman)


Comments

  1. Hi Isqandar,
    I like how your letter have a mixture of both formal and informal element in it without comprising the main element that is supposed to be in the letter. This letter really reflects your personality as someone who is outgoing and not afraid to express your own view.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeremy,

      Thank you for taking your time to comment on my blog. I had to be formal as it was part of the requirement, and I was talking to my professor as well. I also agree with you that I tend to have an informal tone when I type as I consider myself to be a jovial an outgoing person. Im glad that I was able to convey my personality through the letter.

      Regards,
      Isqandar

      Delete
  2. Good job, Isqandar! I like how you express your feeling by giving specific examples. The content is complete, concrete, and concise. I can easily understand what you are trying to tell me because of the correct words that you used. Just in my opinion, I think in the last paragraph the "I would like to be able to 'be'..." will be better if you change to become. I feel when I read in that way will be more comfortable. Overall, I think you did a good job in self-introduction because I can know you more through this letter. Hopefully you will able to achieve your aim through this module. Let's work hard together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ming Ze,

      I appreciate your kind words. Trying to hit a few of the 7C's was my main goal while writing this letter. I also prefer to be concise so that the readers would understand my letter easily, while also to seem genuine and not sound pretentious. I appreciate the feedback on my grammatical error and will seek to improve on it as I go along this course with you.

      Regards,
      Isqandar

      Delete
  3. Thank you, Isqandar, for this clear, concise and yet well developed letter of introduction. You cover the parameters of the assignment and illustrate with decent explanations and examples, so the letter is quite informative. I'm particularly interested in your explanation of why your study in architecture shifted to engineering. For that, you mention that you really didn't have an interest in art and design. In that regard, I'd like to see a one or two-sentence explanation of why you got into architecture in the first place.

    All in all, you do a good job developing the various segments of the intro, and specifically, the bit about your comm skills weakness and strength. As for the weakness, I'd suggest that it's quite typical for students to feel uneasy while presenting. Quite frankly, when I was your age, I felt the same. Of course, developing confidence is a lifelong rather than a term-length process, and it also comes with becoming an expert in a field. Your full confidence and evolving expertise lies ahead of you, but it all starts anew with each of your presenting experiences. Take the opportunity in our module to embrace the chances.

    Language-wise, this is quite a fluent letter, but there is one sentence to consider in terms of language expression:
    Which is why I find people who present without a script admirable, and that includes you. > (fragment: Connect this clause to the previous sentence.)

    That's a minor issue. I look forwrd to reading more of your writing this term.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts